Interested in joining orchestra?
Welcome to prospective students and the Class of 2027! This website is where you can find all things TJ orchestra. We would love for you to join our orchestra family next year! Please follow the steps below:
- Fill out this form even if you haven’t been accepted to TJ yet, so Ms. Bailey can communicate with you! Filling out this form does not indicate a commitment; it is just to establish communication.
- If you are new to orchestra, sign up for Orchestra when doing course selections and you will immediately be enrolled! That’s it! As soon as you sign up for orchestra, you’re in!
- All students are initially placed in Philharmonia without audition. Again: if you sign up you’re in! If you wish to be considered for our top group (Symphonic), you will need to audition. See chart below for ensemble and audition information.
|PHILHARMONIA (advanced: grade 4/5)||SYMPHONIC (most advanced: grade 6/6+)|
|– No audition required. If you sign up, you’re in!|
– ALL new orchestra students are automatically placed in this ensemble
– Students who wish to audition for Symphonic may do so, but please note that it is rare to be placed there as a freshman. Students are always welcome to audition for Symphonic in future years if they wish.
|Placement audition requirements:|
(Memorization not required for anything)
– Major Scales: prepare 2 of your choice (3 octaves if possible); any bowing pattern
– Melodic Minor Scales: prepare 2 of your choice (2-3 octaves); any bowing pattern
– A prepared piece of your choice (section not to exceed 3 minutes)
– Required excerpts (posted here)
– Auditions will be submitted as prerecorded videos. The audition submission form is here and due by 11:59 PM on Friday, May 12th 2023.
Local Strings Shops
If you need to rent or buy an instrument, here’s some information about local shops where you can do that.
The orchestra calendar is almost completely reflected on the calendar under the Calendar page. A PDF version of the one distributed in class is available as well.
Any questions? You can contact our director Ms. Bailey at email@example.com.